After a shower I can still smell Crossfit under my nails (not girly). I can still see the dirt marks faintly on my knees (scrubbing is necessary) and my fingers are still tingling a little bit from holding weights above my head more in one session than I have ever I think.
I'm sure regular Crossfitters think I'm exaggerating but as a newbie I feel pretty exhausted. I think it is amazing that people can do it 4/5 times a week or more and I hope one day I will be able to. I heard of it for a long time before trying it and I only really gave it a go because a good friend of mine loves it. I secretly had no idea what it even was, the general consensus I get when I try to talk to people about it.
I can tell you one thing about Crossfit, its HARD! There is a lot of lingo to learn and their technique is slightly different to the average gym standards but it pushes you out of your comfort zone. I am used to squats that stop pretty close to knee level, no no you literally get your ass to grass at the box (Crossfit lingo for where the sessions are held). Lunges include touching the ground with your knee, no 90 degree angles here. When I found out the techniques are slightly different to what I am used to I was worried, but there are coaches there to guide you throughout the session to make getting the hang of it much easier.
I tried my first free taster session just under a year ago but didn't feel good, I didn't feel fit and was going through some other things at the time so I didn't really get properly into it. I returned for my first session back in months today and although I didn't smash any personal bests, considering I was in a new place, with new people, trying new things I don't think I did half bad. I felt strong and beaten down at the same time. It requires a hell of a lot of self motivation, the coaches are there to support you and push you when you need it but its about motivating yourself to push through your limits, something that feels amazing when you finish.
Our session today included:
a warm up, focus on technique and strength and then the WOD (workout of the day).
The technique involved overhead squats, something I never do on my own and I definitely don't find easy, especially having to get so low in a squat. Strength was deadlifts, something I would normally be happy about however I stupidly did them the day before which made the weight feel a lot heavier than normal. That was followed by a nice set of 5 deadlifts and 5 over the bar burpees. ouch! This is all before the WOD. So we had 20 minutes of AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) of a 200m run, 20 overhead walking lunges, and toe touches to the bar, basically you hang from a bar and crunch yoru legs up so high your toes touch the bar above your head and it KILLS your abs. You count how many rounds and then it all goes on the board at the end of the session.
I love to challenge myself so I loved every minute. I'm going to try and go back later this week and keep going regularly throughout the year so I can make steady improvements. Anybody who walks around the gym thinking 'I am owning this' I suggest you go to Crossfit because it will knock you off your high horse. If you are like me and easily get stuck in a routine and a comfort zone its a great way to smash through that, try something new and push yourself in new ways. There is so many different skills involved in one session that strength alone isn't enough, you test your flexibility, endurance and mental attitude to name a few.
I can see how people get sucked in by it. If I wasn't a poor student Im sure I would too. My session was at CW1 Crossfit in Crewe and I couldn't suggest it more.
Over the summer I have been testing out a number of new classes and workouts which I am going to write up in full next week for you all to check out. I have pushed my limits so now its your turn, think of a new way to break out of your routine. It feels pretty damn good!
No comments:
Post a Comment