Sports Bra: Lululemon, Leggings: Nike
Being able to do pull ups is a struggle for a lot of people. There are plenty who can lift big weights in the gym, they are super fit but being able to pull their own body weight up is such a challenge. They are so hard to be able to do and take a lot of time and effort but it can be easy to lose the strength. Just like lots of things it takes so much time and dedication to lose weight yet its so simple to gain it. Very upsetting but very true.
I have been working on my pull ups for a long time and stepped it up to a few times a week a few months ago, I never thought I would get there. This is only a short post but I wanted to offer the best advice that I have found useful for myself.
Ditch the assistance machine! I know everybody has their own ways but this was vital for me. Using the assistance was fine but I wasn't properly engaging my muscles and tightening my core so I would have never gained the strength to complete a full pull up if I have carried on like that. It would have taken a very long time.
Ask a friend or someone who works at the gym to hold your waist for support, they take some of your weight and help to push you up but it is more of a real pull up and trains your body to need less and less help. By the end my boyfriend literally just had a hand on my back for support to stop me swinging. I also think it was confidence too, I was convinced he was taking a lot of my weight and that I couldn't do it without him when actually I practically already was.
Negatives - get a bench or step if you are little like me and jump up to the bar and hold for a few seconds before slowly lowering down then jump and repeat for as many reps as you can. Eventually you will be able to start doing half rep pull ups until you can drop all the way down and pull up.
Its the best feeling when you eventually do it! Its something I'm genuinely really proud of! It proves that if you work hard at something and don't give up you will always be able to do it. Keep going!
No comments:
Post a Comment