Wednesday, 28 May 2014

"Everything Is Hard Before It Is Easy"

As I have been extremely dedicated to fitness and a healthy lifestyle for quite some time now I decided to enter a long distance race for charity. I have been road running for a few years now and after running the 5K Race For Life two years ago I promised myself I would gradually build up my stamina to run further and further. I have unfortunately never been blessed with a fast metabolism which means if I didn't work out or eat right I would gain weight. Although I feel absolutely terrible when I've had a few days of eating badly, in a weird way I am happy that I'm not someone who can eat an unlimited amount of junk food and never get fat. I actually really enjoy exercising as its the best anti-depressant around plus by having a healthy lifestyle I have so much more energy than I used to.

So I signed up for the Bupa London 10,000 where I would donate all my sponsorship money to Alzheimer's Society, a charity close to my heart. I did plan to train specifically a lot more in running than I did but I got so carried away in the gym that I didn't spend as much time out road running as I planned. I genuinely enjoy gym classes so much that I couldn't tear myself away so I wasn't expecting to do amazingly since so many people there would have trained so hard, running everyday.

 
So on Sunday 25th May I ran the race. I always said I would be completely happy to finish within an hour but I was aware that was a long shot. I ate a bowl of porridge a few hours before and then a banana closer to the race for some extra energy and drank lots of water. As I stepped up to the start line I felt surprisingly good and really positive. Mo Farrah was the celebrity guest and he sounded the horn for the start of the race.

The start line. Ready to go.
Feeling good just after I crossed the line
Me and my medal
I am so proud that I managed to run the 10K in 54 minutes 39 seconds I actually cant believe it. I came 4520th which sounds a lot but out of 15,000 runners I am really happy with especially as I came 1090th out of all the female runners. I think the fact that there is crowd cheering you on practically the whole way round is the best motivation to keep pushing. Its also a massive eye opener to see so many people running for different charities for so many personal reasons, I actually felt really emotional at one point to think of what some of the people running and supporting have been through/going through. Everybody has a different story and I think its important for everyone to stop and think about it sometimes.

A well earned mocktail afterwards

After how amazing I felt when I finished I would really like to push myself to do the half marathon next year and eventually go for the marathon.

To anybody who wants to get fit, lose weight or tone up then do it! Once you start to see an improvement you will never look back!

Yours Fashionably
Sarah Victoria


 

No comments:

Post a Comment